This course uses the story of Mr. Rodriguez, a teacher at Flat River Middle School, to show the importance of effective communication when helping Jenny, a student having trouble with depression.
You’ll learn how Mr. Rodriguez works with Jenny and her school community to come up with a plan for her return to the classroom after a behavior-related absence. For participants with hard-won experience, these courses provide a space for them to share what they have learned. For those who need guidance, we provide evidence-based resources.
- Intended Audience: K-12 school teachers and administrators
- Length: 90 minutes
- Key Learning Objectives:
- Improve communication skills with students and parents
- Learn the basics of Nonviolent Communication
- Recognize and talk to someone who is depressed
- Deal with in-class disruptions
- Create a re-entry plan for students
- Organize a Restorative Justice Circle
- Gather a community to help students
Sign up for the Building Strength and Healing Together: Talking Through Trouble course!