The SHARE Team August 8, 2014

Article continues here

As a certified teacher in Nevada, you could have the opportunity to influence the lives of your students every day. However, you must begin the process with an education and a Nevada teaching certification.

Requirements for certified teachers in Nevada

Teachers in Nevada are required to be U.S. citizens and must also prove that any academic degrees were completed at an accredited institution. Applicants must also have completed eight semester hours of student teaching to qualify to be licensed.

Certified teachers must hold a bachelor’s degree and are also required to complete an appropriate teacher preparation program. Your teacher preparation course must meet certain state-mandated guidelines for the grade level you hope to teach. Most teacher preparation programs that are offered by accredited institutions will meet these state guidelines.

Candidates for teacher positions in Nevada must pass a several exams, including the PRAXIS Core Academic Skills test to determine your competency in reading, writing, and mathematics. Candidates must also successfully complete the Principles of Learning and Teaching test to assess their competency as a teaching professional. Finally, you must take PRAXIS II Subject Assessments for any certification areas in which you hope to teach.

Nevada jobs for licensed teachers

If you have recently graduated with a bachelor’s degree and completed a teacher training program, then you will be granted a Provisional Teaching License that is valid for three years. During this three-year period, you must complete all certification testing in order to be eligible for a Standard Teaching License. The Standard license is valid for a five year period, during which time you must earn a total of six continuing professional education credits.

You may also be eligible for several levels of Professional Teaching Licenses, depending upon your education and experience. The Professional Licenses are valid for periods ranging from six to 10 years. With a master’s degree, an educational specialist degree, or a doctoral degree and continuing teaching experience, you may not have to renew your teaching credentials as often because of your commitment to the profession.

If you plan to teach a subject designated as a Teacher Shortage Area (TSA) by the U.S. Department of Education, you might be eligible for student loan deferment or cancellation. The following TSAs have been approved for Nevada for the 2015-2016 school year:

  • Alternative Education (Grades 7 – 12)
  • Art (Grades 7 – 12)
  • Audiologist
  • Culinary Arts/Foods (Grades 9 – 12)
  • Elementary (Multiple Areas)
  • English/English Language Arts (Grades 7 – 12)
  • English as a Second Language (Kindergarten – Grade 12)
  • Foreign Language
  • Gifted and Talented (Kindergarten – Grade 12)
  • History (Grades 9 – 12)
  • Industrial Arts (Wood/Auto and Woods/Metals)
  • Intervention Specialist
  • Mathematics (Grades 7 – 12)
  • Media Arts
  • Music (Kindergarten – Grade 12)
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Physical Therapist
  • Physics (Advanced Placement, Grades 7 – 12)
  • Reading (Grades 7 – 8)
  • Science (Grades 7 – 12)
  • School Counselor
  • School Nurse
  • School Psychologist
  • School Social Worker
  • Special Education (Multiple Areas)
  • Speech Language Pathologist
  • Teacher of Visually Impaired
  • Technology (Grades 6 – 8)

A full and current list of TSAs for each state is available via the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Postsecondary Education.

Teaching license reciprocity in Nevada

Nevada participates in a teaching license reciprocity agreement with the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC). When you apply for a teaching certificate in one state using an existing license from another, the “destination state” is actually recognizing your credentials as verification that you are qualified to teach. You must still meet all requirements before you can teach there.

Fortunately, the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement for Educator Licensure streamlines this application process and expedites the goal of teaching in your new state. For more information, see Teaching License Reciprocity Explained.

Disclaimer: Licensing requirements are subject to change. Please visit your state board of education to check for recent revisions to teaching license requirements.

More information:

You may also like to read


Categorized as: Teaching License