The SHARE Team August 8, 2014

Article continues here

The requirements for teaching vary by state. It’s important to understand what is required for the state in which you want to teach. There are different ways to obtain your teaching certification in Wyoming. Understanding each option for certification will prepare you for a successful career as a teacher in this state.

Requirements for certified teachers in Wyoming

To acquire a teaching certification in Wyoming, you must have a bachelor’s degree in education from a regionally or nationally accredited teacher education program. The program must include a student teaching component. All Wyoming teachers must also demonstrate knowledge of the U.S. and Wyoming Constitutions.

Wyoming has two areas in which the applicants are required to pass a Subject Area Competence assessment. These exams allow you to obtain an additional endorsement.

If you are interested in teaching at the elementary level, you will need to pass the PRAXIS II exam 001 with a minimum score of 160. The Social Studies endorsement requires you to pass the Social Studies Composite. This is the PRAXIS II exam 0081, and you must pass with a minimum score of 158.

You may also apply to receive an institutional recommendation. There is no test required for this endorsement. It is given by completing a teacher preparation program with a specialty in the desired teaching field. You apply for this endorsement at the same time you apply for your license.

Non-traditional routes to teaching in Wyoming include being licensed in another state, and having taught in that state for three out of the last six years. You will need to show proof of your teaching history. Your PRAXIS II test scores will also need to be submitted.

Whether taking a traditional route to licensure or taking an alternative route, all applicants must submit to a background check and obtain a fingerprint clearance card. You must also have knowledge of the US and Wyoming constitutions.

Wyoming jobs for licensed teachers

The first license you will obtain as a new Wyoming teacher is your Initial Educator License. This license is valid for five years, after which you must apply for a Renewal License. Renewing your license requires a number of professional development credits.

There are additional endorsements you can obtain for specific teaching areas. These include art, music, science, physical education, and languages. Some of these endorsements are broken down further into specific categories. For example, social studies also includes a separate endorsement for geography.

You may qualify to be a substitute teacher if you have completed at least 65 hours at an accredited institution. You may also qualify if you have a high school diploma or GED. In this case, you must complete 24 hours of district training and 10 hours of classroom observation for each grade you wish to teach. All substitute teachers must pass the US and Wyoming constitution exams and submit an application for a Wyoming Educator Permit.

If you plan to teach a subject designated as a Teacher Shortage Area (TSA) by the U.S. Department of Education, you might be eligible for student loan deferment or cancellation. The following TSAs have been approved for Wyoming for the 2015-2016 school year:

  • Adaptive Physical Education
  • At-Risk/Alternative/Non-Traditional Teachers Certification Area
  • Elementary Grades (Core Subjects)
  • English (Including Middle Language Arts)
  • English as a Second Language
  • Family and Consumer Science
  • Health
  • Mathematics
  • Physical Education
  • Reading
  • Secondary Sciences
  • Spanish
  • Special Education

A full and current list of TSAs for each state is available via the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Postsecondary Education.

Teaching license reciprocity in Wyoming

Wyoming participates in a teaching license reciprocity agreement with the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC). When you apply for a teaching certificate in one state using an existing license from another, the “destination state” is actually recognizing your credentials as verification that you are qualified to teach. You must still meet all requirements before you can teach there.

Fortunately, the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement for Educator Licensure streamlines this application process and expedites the goal of teaching in your new state. For more information, see Teaching License Reciprocity Explained.

Disclaimer: Licensing requirements are subject to change. Please visit your state board of education to check for recent revisions to teaching license requirements.

More information:

You may also like to read


Categorized as: Teaching License