Image from Pexels
The SHARE Team August 8, 2014

Article continues here

Whether you decide to attend a teaching college in Indiana or take teacher training courses outside the state, then move to Indiana, there are many ways to get your state teaching certification and serve as an educator. Knowing what types of licenses are available, as well as what the licensing requirements are, can help you obtain your teacher’s license quickly so that you may begin working.

Requirements for certified teachers in Indiana

According to the Indiana Department of Education, Indiana residents hoping to attain an Indiana teaching license must have a teaching degree from a state-approved programs (including online programs). In addition to completing the teaching program, you must pass the Indiana Core Academic Skills Assessment (CASA). If you’re interested in teaching a particular subject, you must also take the Indiana CORE Assessment content exam for that specialty. You must also receive education and training on the prevention of child suicide, pass a pedagogy exam, and receive CPR-Heimlich Maneuver-AED Certification.

If you did not attain a degree in education but wish to become an Indiana teacher, you may attain an emergency permit. Under this permit, you can teach but must work toward the completion of an Indiana teaching license as outlined above. The permit can be renewed twice if needed.

Out-of-state applicants must have the minimum of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited school and meet education requirements for their state of residence. If you are an out-of-state applicant, you must complete an application form and profile in Indiana’s Licensing Verification and Information System, complete an Areas for Evaluation form in any subject that you wish to be evaluated for competency, provide educational transcripts and PRAXIS scores, and offer either a copy of your existing state license or a letter verifying your educational or professional experience.

Whether you wish to apply for the in-state, out-of-state, or alternative licensure, you must complete the appropriate paperwork, available from the Indiana Department of Education, and pay the appropriate fees, which vary by license type.

Indiana jobs for licensed teachers

When you receive an Indiana teacher’s license, you can teach a wide range of subjects at your preferred grade level. Possibilities include:

  • High school
  • Middle school
  • Elementary and preschool
  • Administration
  • High achievers
  • Special needs students
  • Mathematics
  • Language arts
  • World history
  • English
  • Music
  • Fine arts
  • Languages (including Chinese, French, German, Spanish, and American Sign Language)

In addition to the different paths to licensure discussed above, Indiana offers licensing for speech-language pathologists who have received a Masters in Speech Pathology. Indiana also offers School Services licensure, which covers the positions of School Social Worker, School Nurse, School Counselor, and School Psychologist.

If you plan to teach a subject designated as a Teacher Shortage Area (TSA) by the U.S. Department of Education, you might be eligible for student loan deferment or cancellation. The following TSAs have been approved for Indiana for the 2015-2016 school year:

  • Blind and Low Vision
  • Business Education
  • Career and Technical Education: Agriculture
  • Career and Technical Education: Business Services and Technology
  • Career and Technical Education: Marketing
  • Career and Technical Education: Occupational Family and Consumer Service
  • Communication Disorders
  • Deaf and Hard of Hearing
  • Early Childhood
  • English as a New Language
  • Intense Intervention
  • Mathematics
  • Mild Intervention
  • Science (All Areas)
  • Technology Education
  • World Languages

A full and current list of TSAs for each state is available via the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Postsecondary Education.

Teaching license reciprocity in Indiana

Indiana participates in a teaching license reciprocity agreement with the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC). When you apply for a teaching certificate in one state using an existing license from another, the “destination state” is actually recognizing your credentials as verification that you are qualified to teach. You must still meet all requirements before you can teach there.

Fortunately, the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement for Educator Licensure streamlines this application process and expedites the goal of teaching in your new state. For more information, see Teaching License Reciprocity Explained.

Disclaimer: Licensing requirements are subject to change. Please visit your state board of education to check for recent revisions to teaching license requirements.

More information:

You may also like to read


Categorized as: Teaching License