New Hampshire

New Hampshire
The SHARE Team August 9, 2014

Article continues here

If you are passionate about becoming a New Hampshire-certified teacher, you should know how you can qualify for a state teaching license. There are different ways to become a teacher in the state. Understanding this important information is the first step to obtaining a rewarding teaching career.

Requirements for certified teachers in New Hampshire

The New Hampshire Department of Education Bureau of Credentialing is responsible for awarding teaching licenses. Teaching certification in New Hampshire requires the candidate to have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university. In addition, you should either complete an approved program in teacher education or one of the alternative certification routes.

All candidates for the initial New Hampshire teaching license must also pass the PRAXIS test series. New Hampshire teachers should take the PRAXIS Core Academic Skills (CORE) tests prior to entering the teacher education program, which will determine your competence in reading, mathematics and writing. You should also take the appropriate PRAXIS II tests for the subject and grade you would like to teach.

Certified teachers in New Hampshire must renew their license regularly. At least 30 education hours is needed for additional endorsement.  The PRAXIS II may be required if you aim to maintain a highly-qualified credential. Alternatively, you can submit a request for renewal form if you are not able to meet the required education hours. All candidates are subject to criminal history background checks and fingerprinting.

New Hampshire jobs for licensed teachers

There are several type of New Hampshire teaching certificates.

  1. Beginning Educator Certificate: You are a first time teacher or school administrator with an education degree. This certificate is valid for three years.
  2. Experienced Educator Certificate: You have three years or more of teaching experience. This certificate is valid for three years.
  3. Master Educator Certificate: You have an Experienced Educator Certificate, seven years or more of teaching experience, and have demonstrated quality teaching. This certificate is valid for three years.

If you plan to teach a subject designated as a Teacher Shortage Area (TSA) by the U.S. Department of Education, you might be eligible for student loan deferment or cancellation. The following TSAs have been approved for New Hampshire for the 2014-2015 school year:

  • Blind and Vision Disabilities
  • Comprehensive Family and Consumer Science
  • Comprehensive Technology Education
  • Deaf and Hearing Disabilities
  • Early Childhood Special Education
  • Education Technology Integrator
  • Elementary Mathematics Specialist (Kindergarten – Grade 6)
  • English for Speakers of Other Languages
  • General Special Education
  • Health Education
  • Library Media Specialist
  • Mathematics (Grades 5 – 8 and Grades 7 – 12)
  • Reading and Writing Specialist
  • Reading and Writing Teacher
  • School Counselor
  • School Psychologist
  • School Social Worker
  • Sciences (multiple areas)
  • Special Education (multiple areas)
  • Specialist in Assessment of Intellectual Functioning (SAIF)
  • World Languages (Classical and Modern)

A full and current list of TSAs for each state is available via the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Postsecondary Education.

Teaching license reciprocity in New Hampshire

New Hampshire participates in a teaching license reciprocity agreement with the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC). When you apply for a teaching certificate in one state using an existing license from another, the “destination state” is actually recognizing your credentials as verification that you are qualified to teach. You must still meet all requirements before you can teach there.

Fortunately, the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement for Educator Licensure streamlines this application process and expedites the goal of teaching in your new state. For more information, see Teaching License Reciprocity Explained.

Disclaimer: Licensing requirements are subject to change. Please visit your state board of education to check for recent revisions to teaching license requirements.

More information:

You may also like to read


Categorized as: Teaching License