COVID-19: Resilient Educator Toolkit
MORE RESILIENT TOGETHER THROUGH THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
The trauma of the present COVID-19 pandemic has hit teachers hard and is further compounded with school closures happening across the country and the world. Now, more than ever, the focus to provide additional resources for teachers – and to expand those resources to include students, parents, and families for widespread adoption – is essential.
The COVID-19: Resilient Educator Toolkit equips teachers with actionable strategies and advice to use immediately for themselves and in working with and supporting children, parents, and families during these difficult times. Amidst chaos and through adversity, these rich teacher wellness and self-care resources can support and nurture teachers to become more resilient together.
- For Teachers: Staying Calm Amidst Chaos
- Family Tip Sheet: 5 Pathways to Family Calmness
- Student Activity: Calming Cards and Calming Catcher
- For Teachers: Practicing Mindful News Literacy
- Family Tip Sheet: Being Mindful About News and Media Habits
- Student Activity: Be a Journalist
- For Teachers: Building Resilience Starts with Self-Care
- Family Tip Sheet: Self-Care for Your Family
- Student Activity: Taking Care of “Self”
- For Teachers: Building Resilience Through a Strong Mind-Body Connection
- Family Tip Sheet: Stress Busters
- Student Activity: Mind-Body Connector
Create A Plan
- For Teachers: The Reassurance of Routines
- Family Tip Sheet: The Ritual of Routine
- Student Activity: Ready, Set, Routine!
- For Teachers: Maintaining Balance in Time of Uncertainty
- Family Tip Sheet: Balancing Life Through Uncertain Situations
- Student Activity: Balancing My Responsibilities vs Activities
- For Teachers: How to Stay Motivated During Tough Times
- Family Tip Sheet: I Think I Can, I Think I Can.. Stay Motivated!
- Student Activity: The Game of Life
- For Teachers: I Know It’s Hard … but Stay Positive
- Family Tip Sheet: Keeping You and Your Family Positive
- Student Activity: My Positive Pledge
- For Teachers: Embrace Life’s Change With Resiliency
- Family Tip Sheet: Embracing Change Together
- Student Activity: My Superpowers
- For Teachers: One Step At A Time
- Family Tip Sheet: Helping Your Family Get Unstuck
- Student Activity: Reach for the Stars!
Teacher wellbeing is a crucial element of overall school health. Educators often experience significant amounts of pressure and stress and don’t have the proper tools or mindset to overcome these challenges. We have the right resources for educators to find that healthy work-life balance and live happy and productive lives inside and outside of the classroom.
Many of the challenging behaviors seen inside classrooms stem from stress or trauma in students’ lives outside of school. Trauma, both physical and emotional, can alter a young person’s brain functions, which impacts learning and behavior. Students don’t need to stumble through emotional minefields. Let’s give them a map using trauma-informed tools.
Technology is increasingly becoming an important topic these days, especially for online learning. Here’s a guide for teachers and leaders to choose the best strategies of integrating technology for the on-campus and online classroom. Learn about evaluating an LMS platform, assistive technology, strategies and more. Instead of fearing technology, learn to maximize it.
Here’s our handpicked, curated selection of book titles that support and develop resilience. For your students, check out our Mini-Library of Resilience-Building Books for Children and Young Adults. And don’t forget to share the list with your fellow teachers, students, parents, and anyone else who may benefit from these great readings!
John Mark Comer