Image from Pexels
The SHARE Team August 13, 2014

Article continues here

If you want to get Vermont teaching certification, you must start your preparation as early as possible. Take coursework related to the degree in education while still in high school. Additionally, find out about the many opportunities that the state can provide for those who are passionate about becoming a certified teacher in Vermont.

Requirements for certified teachers in Vermont

The State of Vermont Department of Education’s Licensing Office regulates application procedures for teaching certification in Vermont. The department ensures that all applicants meet the established standards and requirements.

All aspiring educators in the state should comply with these procedures. This includes obtaining a bachelor’s degree before applying for teaching certification. You must also complete an accredited teacher education program and receive a recommendation from the institution. You will need to enter an alternative Vermont teaching certification program if you have a bachelor’s degree with a major other than education.

Typically, teacher education programs in Vermont are comprised of curricula and fieldwork. Completing these requirements along with passing the fingerprint background check can qualify you to become a certified teacher in the state. The Vermont Criminal Information Center and the FBI criminal records check division will take charge of this procedure.

Moreover, candidates for certification must pass the PRAXIS series tests. This includes PRAXIS Core Academic Skills for Educators (CORE) that measures skills in reading, writing, and mathematics. The PRAXIS II Subject Assessment measures your knowledge in the general and content-specific areas relevant to the grade and subject you wish to teach. PRAXIS II is also intended for educators who wish to become a certified teacher of languages like French, Spanish, German or Latin. Meanwhile, you can take the ACTFL or the ASLTA in order to prove your proficiency in other languages.

A Vermont certified teacher must have his or her license reinstated by the day after the expiration date specified. Educators need to renew their license every one to five years depending on the type of license they hold. Retired educators in the state can also apply for a Vermont Retired Education License.

Vermont jobs for licensed teachers

There are several types of teaching license in Vermont.

  1. Initial Educator or Level I License: You have completed a state-approved teacher preparation program and passed your CORE and PRAXIS II exams. This license is valid for three years.
  2. Level II License: You have practiced for at least three years under a Level I license, have completed continuing education requirements, and demonstrated your excellency in teaching. This license is valid for seven years.
  3. Alternative: You are a bachelor’s degree holder outside the education field. However, you have completed an accredited state alternative teaching program and gained recommendation for licensure. In Vermont, this alternative route is known as License by Evaluation or Peer Review. You must meet the 16 Principles for Vermont Educators along with all the competencies and requirements for the endorsement.
  4. Substitute: You can be a substitute teacher in Vermont on a day to day basis for one, three or five years. You have to complete a substitute teaching certification in Vermont to be eligible.
  5. Provisional and Emergency: The school superintendent recommends you to temporarily fill in the position. However, this type of license is not initiated by the applicant. Only the superintendent has the authority to do so.
  6. Apprenticeship: You have technical skills and have completed a Technical Professional Development Plan approved by the director of the Career and Technical Education Program at Vermont Technical College. This is a three-year temporary license.

What is great about teaching in Vermont is the opportunity to have a quality education without high costs. There are many opportunities for you to jumpstart your career as a Vermont certified teacher. Additionally, Vermont has high standards when it comes to teacher selection. This means educators in the state are carefully picked and trained before they are employed.

If you plan to teach a subject designated as a Teacher Shortage Area (TSA) by the U.S. Department of Education, you might be eligible for student loan deferment or cancellation. The following TSAs have been approved for Vermont for the 2015-2016 school year:

  • English
  • Health Education
  • Library Media Specialist
  • Principal
  • Spanish-Modern and Classical Language
  • Special Educator

In addition, individual counties have reported these shortages:

  • Design and Technology
  • Driver Education
  • Educational Technology Specialist
  • English as a Second Language
  • Family and Consumer Sciences
  • French-Modern and Classical Language
  • Mathematics
  • Music

A full and current list of TSAs for each state is available via the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Postsecondary Education.

Teaching license reciprocity in Vermont

Vermont participates in a teaching license reciprocity agreement with the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC). When you apply for a teaching certificate in one state using an existing license from another, the “destination state” is actually recognizing your credentials as verification that you are qualified to teach. You must still meet all requirements before you can teach there.

Fortunately, the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement for Educator Licensure streamlines this application process and expedites the goal of teaching in your new state. For more information, see Teaching License Reciprocity Explained.

Disclaimer: Licensing requirements are subject to change. Please visit your state board of education to check for recent revisions to teaching license requirements.

More information:

You may also like to read


Categorized as: Teaching License